Boathouse 4 is located in one of the oldest and most historic parts of the Historic Dockyard. Few visitors realize that we have been building wooden boats here for hundreds of years.
This year Boathouse 4 are proud to host the annual Portsmouth Historic Dockyard Volunteer Thank You Tea. We are expecting over 100 volunteers from all over the site to attend. We will take this opportunity to make sure they know how much we value them and highlight the massive difference they all make to the visitor experience and on-going preservation of the Dockyard.
Would you like to join our happy team of volunteers?
Do you love Portsmouth and our Naval Heritage? Wooden boats?
Could you tell visitors our Boathouse 4 story?
Boathouse 4 has been restored and is now open as FREE attraction at the Historic Dockyard. We have a few openings on our team of enthusiastic volunteers.
Here are some things you might enjoy:
- Help with the conservation and restoration of small boats from the Portsmouth Naval Base’s collection, and also privately owned craft that come to us for repair or restoration.
- Lead a daily tour of our workshop floor telling visitors about the work underway.
- Tell our visitors about the significance and history of small boats in the Royal Navy and building boats in Boathouses 4,5,6,7.
- Demonstrate aspects of woodworking/boatbuilding or ropemaking to visitors. (We will train you!)
- Help with our ‘hands-on’ activities and workshops for all ages.
We have a couple of openings on Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
For more information click here. or come for a taster day!