PORTSMOUTH NAVAL BASE PROPERTY TRUST
Mast Climbing Operators, Boathouse 4
To provide visitor services at the Forgotten Craft Exhibition in Boathouse 4, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, and occasionally at other attractions operated by Portsmouth Naval Base Property Trust.
The post-holder will be responsible to the Attractions Operations Manager.
Shifts will be worked on a rota system and will include some weekend, evening and bank holiday working.
Mast Climbing Experience
- To be responsible for the daily operation of the Mast Climbing Experience, which is the Forgotten Craft Exhibition’s main attraction.
- To ensure that full daily safety checks for the Mast Climbing Experience are completed and signed prior to opening, and that any faults are reported immediately to the Attractions Operations Manager.
- To ensure that all participants in Mast Climbing receive a full safety briefing before their climb.
- To be responsible for ensuring the health and safety of visitors whilst operating the Mast Climbing Experience.
- To be responsible for operating the till and handling cash, and for ensuring that the daily cashing up and reconciliation procedure is carried out at the end of each day.
- To promote and upsell the Mast Climbing Experience to all visitors.
General Visitor Host Duties
- To receive and welcome visitors into Boathouse 4.
- To ensure that the mezzanine floor does not exceed its capacity.
- To manage visitors and pre-booked groups effectively and direct them to the different areas of Boathouse 4.
- To have a working knowledge of Boathouse 4 and offer visitors information and assistance where appropriate.
- To be trained as a Fire Marshall and comply with the Boathouse 4 Fire Safety Management Plan.
- To comply with current Health & Safety legislation and the Portsmouth Naval Base Property Trust Health & Safety policy.
- To be responsible for the start-up and shut down of the Exhibition, in liaison with the Attractions Senior Technician.
- To help maintain a safe, secure and clean environment for visitors and for other members of staff.
- To provide general information to visitors on other attractions in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.
- To promote corporate events, education visits and children’s birthday parties across all the Trust’s attractions.
- To liaise and co-operate with staff of the other operators within Boathouse 4, at other Historic Dockyard attractions, and at the National Museum of the Royal Navy.
Additional Requirements of the Post
To be able to communicate with visitors in a polite, courteous and professional manner.
To be willing to undertake all necessary training for the post.
To be able to work as a member of a team and without direct supervision.
To be willing to dress in corporate wear.
Any climbing or climbing instructor qualifications/experience
To have a basic knowledge of a foreign language (eg French, German, Spanish).
To hold a First Aid Certificate.
NB. Suitable candidates are subject to meeting specific requirements for the post
Closing date: 1st February
Interview date: 3rd February
Successful applicants must be available to commence full training w/c 13th February
Please email your CV with a covering letter to Will Beasley, Attractions Operations Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org